Wednesday, September 13, 2006

OCD - The Beginning

I remember the day OCD first hit me vividly, although I did not know it was OCD at the time. I didn't really understand what was going on, only that one thought suddenly came into my mind and began revolving around causing feelings i'd never experienced before. The thought, a fairly common one, one many people experience and let pass by. The thought, I would rather not say and the content of the thought is infact irrelevant to the experience of OCD. For an obsession all is needed is for something to be important to you. I knew at the time my reaction to the thought was over the top but that didn't make it feel any less real or any less disturbing.  The more I tried to fight against the thought, the stronger and stronger the thought got. The obsession was more than just a song stuck in your head type experience, there were mental and physical consequences. The thoughts were accompanied by my chest tightening, my shoulders cramping and a paralyzing state of fear. As a consequence, I struggled to sleep, never felt like eating (although I forced myself to) and my ability to concentrate on anything else slipped to almost zero.

I however was blessed, I had great support from certain people and quickly discovered what OCD was and that I was suffering with it, this was however only the beginning of my encounter with OCD that continues to this day. I will explain more of my experiences soon.



4 comments:

SteveH said...

I don't remember ever not experiencing OCD type thinking. Good job, Calv. Spreading the word helps eleviate unnecessary suffering.

Unknown said...

Yea, I was one of the lucky ones, I don't really remember much OCD like up until about three years ago except perhaps a couple of odd things that may or may not have been OCD when I was young! Thanks for leaving a comment my first!

Anonymous said...

Two members of my family have this condition, and I never really understood it until now - no-one wants to talk about it, so your blog has been really helpful. I now feel that I have some understanding of what they are struggling to cope with. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I'm really glad to have been of some help! Thanks for leaving a comment, feel free to contact me if I can be of any futher help.